Thursday 19 November 2009

filmfest

Beautiful

I can't believe I managed to find the time to post for 6 (almost 7) days in a row and then somehow was unable to find the time for the next 5 days. It re-affirms my belief that success in practice is simply a matter of practising as much as you can. It's the same with running, working, blogging, anything.

Because I actually have loads to tell you. A whole backlog of things I want to write! Let's start with one of the things I have been occupied with since I last posted: watching films.

I have had a mini filmfest, which isn't so rare for me in the less eventful lulls of my life, but I normally sadly seem to abandon culture when I am busy with school, as I am right now. Nevertheless, I have somehow managed to fit in three films.

1. Nineteen Eighty Four
Mainly inspired by La Belette Rouge's post about film therapy. An absolutely horrible films in terms of everything: the colours are grey and washed out, there are no handsome hunks, no happy ending, throw in on top of all that a cage of fighting rats, boots stamping on faces and hangings aplenty and you have one beautiful film. Seriously. That's the thing about all-consuming ugliness and tragedy; it makes you appreciate your sometimes mediocre, sometimes terrible world as beautiful.


2. An Education
Hmm. Probably the best film I have seen in the cinema this year. Beautiful, uncomfortable, thought-provoking, sad and funny, not flawless but still fantastic.
3. Little Miss Sunshine
Yes, I know I am totally three years late on this one. And as is always the case with fantastically received films with loads of hype, rewards and general love from every single person you know who's seen it, it can't fail to disappoint. There was good acting and it was cute. So?

It appears that as my films got progressively more uplifting, I enjoyed them less and less. That probably makes me some sort of sadist.

Have you watched any great films lately to recommend? Have you seen any of these? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I want to watch Education, I'm glad it got a good review from you :)
    There's a tag on my blog waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to inspire this fantastic post. I love learning about films I might have missed. I haven't seen Education and I so want to. Actually there are soooo many films I want to see: Mr.Fox; Staring at Goats; Precious and MORE. Last night we watched "Whatever Works" I LOVE that movie.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of your ability to blog so often. I can't manage the daily post thing, sadly :-(

    I have this little tradition with myself to watch a foreign film every Friday...I call it Foreign Film Friday. Honestly, I think it's the best tradition EVER. Last week I watched The Color of Paradise, an absolutely beautiful Iranian film. You should consider watching that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Little Miss Sunshine and I'm dying to see An Education!

    ReplyDelete