Friday 22 August 2008

Hello @ 23:02

When I first started writing these 'off to bed posts' as they are so aptly tagged, I assumed that they would become a regular Sunday feature; a distinctive part of this blog. I soon realised that this would not be the case when I started to forget that it was Sunday, then think it was Saturday, then go on holiday and throw the whole post-a-day routine out of the window. So I thought today when getting home at 11 o'clock, having been out of the house for over 12 hours sight-seeing (yes, sight-seeing) and remembering that I was trying to write everyday, what the heck, I might as well bash out an off to bed post.

-Unfortunately I don't feel very sleepy. Today I read an article in US Elle about this and how many people believe that they suffer from insomnia when really they're just not preparing for sleep right; irregular sleeping patterns, screen time before bedtime, coffee and caffiene throughout the day, nightcaps etc etc are all common in peoples lifestyles and the sort of things which you'd never allow a child who couldn't sleep to do. I don't suffer from not being able to sleep AT ALL but it nevertheless made me think that maybe I should cut down on my borderline obsessive tea drinking. It's a recent revelation for me and can't be good for my teeth. In fact today I was feeling proud of myself for not having had a cup of tea, before remembering the samples I had tried in Whittards. That doesn't count does it?

-Speaking of today's exploits, one of my friends had a tourist staying with her so I agreed to come on a day of sight-seeing. At first I was reluctant, primarily because touristy stuff costs so much but also because it seems sort of odd to go sight-seeing in the city you've lived in all of your life. However I ended up having a great time and was planning on writing all about it but it's a little late for a 'pictures post' i.e. a fully-fledged, properly written WITH pictures piece of writing. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say??

-In the summer I always read more books than usual. Because of this, they often blend into one big blur of books, some which I remember that I enjoyed and others that I didn't. One book that I have read this summer had a quote which absolutely stuck in my mind for ages after and I think resonates even more because currently everybody is making so many plans for NEXT summer and frankly it's dizzyingly... dizzying? I know that the weather makes it not feel like summer but it's crazy how much pressure there is to have the best time possible.

“Sometimes … I feel the past and the future pressing so hard on either side that there’s no room for the present at all.”

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to that quote. I feel that way at least once a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very bad with keeping a weekly sort of post goal as well. That last quote is so true lately! Sigh. I don't usually feel that way, I'm such a planner...
    P.S. I cut my bangs (shorter than I intended) so my hair and face looks really different now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the quote is so easily relevant. I really like a film or a book or a song or whatever when it has a line in it which sticks in your mind. Did I already say that?

    ReplyDelete