Monday 30 November 2009

francophone

Today when getting changed I noticed that there was a sticker on my leg. I don't know how it managed to get there, but it was a sticker from an apple, with the word FRANCE written on it. Not only did I find it funny that an apple sticker had managed to get on my leg, but I was also amused because if I think about it, today I really have been trying to be French.

Let's count the ways.

The other day I was asked if I would like a present from Paris. Of course, my first request was a Chanel handbag. Sadly it seems Chanel handbags are out of stock right now in Paris, but I did receive a French CD with a rather beautiful Frenchman on the cover. I have been so preoccupied this week that even though this was several days ago, I hadn't got a chance to listen to any of the songs. Today I finally got round to listening to them on the way to the library. I didn't understand much at first, but now I've had a look at the lyrics book and all the words make much more sense now. My favourite song is definitely this:



(OMG how cute is he? Even cuter than on the cover!)

ANYWAY. By the time I got to the library I was definitely in a French sort of mood and mainly forgot all the other books I had been planning on looking for, which were all dull anyway. I came away with a French translation of a John Grisham novel; I am hoping that I will be able to read it as I was able to understand the whole blurb. But I have never read any John Grisham in English, which is weird seeing as he's meant to be the biggest bestseller of all time. I also came away with some Baudelaire poetry. Pretentious, much? Oh, but it gets better, as I sat down with a nice cup of English tea to continue writing my short story, which has probably moved past neat short story terrority into rambling self-indulgent novella a long time ago, which is set in Paris.

And now I am sitting here working through French homework about blogging which does feel a little weird! I know two people with blogs, one who is like the epitome of cool and, this may sound harsh, but one who really is not. Now did you know qu'en decembre 2007 il y avait 112 millions de blogs dans le monde entier et 5 millions en France? Well I'm guessing you can understand that even if you don't speak any French.

Anyway it was nice to see that my efforts were rewarded by this sticker, which seemed to affirm my transformation into a true Français.

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm new to reading your blog and I enjoy it a lot.

    I must say, a similar thing keeps happening to me with London. I decided earlier this year to apply to graduate school there and then made the decision that if I don't get in Im moving anyway. But everything has been London, London, London...I think its a sign!

    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the apple of someone's eye, clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly! The universe is telling you to move to Paris immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you an email regarding the question you asked me about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah I love my commenters you are all such cuties! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Je parle un petite peu de Français!

    I loved this post. :)


    (Just catching up with your work today.)

    ReplyDelete