Friday 21 August 2009

once more an encore

This title is a little bit of a lie. It implies that this time I am back again from a camping trip, for the last time. It fact, in only a couple of days I am off again. But I feel that I may be teetering on the brink of boring you with my holiday snaps, so I promise that this is the last time I do it.

For how could I resist, when it is so much easier to upload a photograph, which can convey everything about a moment with a simple focus on the lens, one single click?

Sometimes, even the blatant lack of a good photo can tell you everything you need to know. I could write three thousand words about the three hour walk/run along the Cornish coast, or I could share one of my fuzzy, unfocused and generally shit photos, taken on the home stretch, as we began to complete the U-shape we had taken and draw a line across the top with our footsteps, and I was so tired I thought I might fall asleep walking.

I could tell you about our obstinate desire to see a Cornish castle, and share an anecdote about the amusing disappointment we came across. Or I could show you this:

Still, photos can lie. I am pretty proud of the deceptive angle I managed to capture the castle at, which almost makes it look quite grand:

I could warble for hours about how very close we were to nature; how the smell of cow dung even permeated our sleeping hours. But isn't this prettier?

And I don't think I could describe a seaside village any better than these photos could:

OK, that's a bit harsh. Bare feet are still quite charming even if walking along asphalt roads. Admittedly, there are some nice wares sold amongst all the tat; I got a skinny grey leather waist belt from a leather shop open at 9PM for £1.99.

And sometimes a photo is just way cooler than I, or my words.

Plus, I just realised that I have written 8,390 words of the story-in-progress. Sounds quite impressive, no (except for the fact that it has been in progress for way too long)? So I hope you'll let me off for this one!

1 comment:

  1. I love cornwall! sounds like a lovely holiday and love the pics! x

    ReplyDelete