Sunday 28 September 2008

Love Poem

A couple of my favourite poems are very wordy and evocative and passionate and epic as well as very beautiful. Maybe this is because I find it hard to get emotionally attached to a short one or two liner, which I can appreciate but which I can't get lost in. One of the hardest things about reading poems is that you don't get to spend very much time with them before they're over, and a longer more elaborate one is therefore preferable, to me anyway. One poem however, I always remember get drawn back to. Despite it being very short, it pulls me in every time.

Love Poem by Lemn Sissay

You remind me
define me
incline me.

If you died
I'd.

Which are your favourite poems?

5 comments:

  1. That is great. Great emotion, great meter.

    I like mid-length poems, the ones that are just long enough to get you into the mood, but not so long they border on short stories.

    Have you written much poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lovely. I like all of Emily Dickinson's poems. She was a recluse, like me, but lived through her writing. :)
    P.S. Some of the graffiti is greek and I haven't learnt really anything yet! But I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favourite poems too! I love the simplicity of it and the power of the rhyme from the few choice words. I guess less is more as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you all agree!

    enc - no I haven't really written poetry. personally I think everyone has a poet lurking inside them so i do occasionally write one but not in the way that you'd say you write poetry.

    Lovely to hear from you clotheshorse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard this poem before. My favorite poem is always changing. As of late I am loving "Snake" by D.H.Lawrence.
    http://tinyurl.com/62bfy

    ReplyDelete