Friday 20 June 2008

Tagged: seven songs shaping my spring

Thank you so much to Pamcasso at SquareOldSoul for my tag (it's always nicer to be properly tagged than to have to 'request') to:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.”

Until fairly late I was not very much into music. All my friends would know the lyrics to all the current songs and I'd just stand there commenting 'ooh that's nice, who is it?' and receive incredulous looks from those who could hardly believe that I didn't recognise Destiny's Child's latest hit.

In fact, I still don't watch the music channels and rarely remember to turn on the radio. So it's completely down to my beloved i-Pod that I have finally begun to discover my love of music and the magic properties it holds which calm, excite and inspire. Anyway, here are my current favourite songs that I'm loving listening to, I hope they're not dreadfully uncool (my grasp of song popularity is limited - I don't think I've ever been able to read a copy of NME without falling asleep). The titles are linked to videos of the songs on youtube.

The Magic Position - Patrick Wolf. Maybe I'm more in love with the musician than the music, but it is a wonderfully happy song.

Heart of Glass - Nouvelle Vague cover of Blondie. Of course, I do love the original but currently I'm prefering the Nouvelle Vague version which is a little more fresh right now.

Les Champs Elysees - Joe Dassin. I was given a compilation of French songs, of which this catchy tune was the surprise hit. A little embarrassing to admit but to quality is not one of the rules. Plus, I can understand the easy lyrics which is always a bonus. Au soleil, sous la pluie, a midi ou a minuit...

That Time - Regina Spektor. From my favourite album, Begin to Hope. Slightly less poppy and catchy than the other songs. I have always loved Regina since seeing her perform in September: for her fantastic name and that tunelessly singing to her songs is the only thing which completely distracts me from tortuous tummy aches.

Everyday is Like Sunday - Morrissey. I absolutely love the tune. A bit late (read: very) on the Morrissey bandwagon but I am particularly enjoying his songs right now.

Crown of Love - Arcade Fire. I am in love with this band's music, especially the theme of this song. I am desperate to go see them!

Go Tell The Women - Grinderman. I would never voluntarily go and get some Nick Cave but I heard this song through my dad, who's obsessed with Cave. I don't think I should be admitting to that at all, but go listen to the song and then try to tell me that the lyrics aren't genius. No video though, because Nick Cave live performances never sound anything like the actual song.

Now, tag time... I don't think any of these peeps are tagged yet. Just ignore if you are:

I Hate Generic
Mud On My Teadress
Peachy Hollow

Ok I'm cheating now, I can't think of any other bloggers who haven't done this and haven't been tagged to do it. So I'll do that horrible thing and say that if you want to be tagged, put your hand up and I might choose you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll get on this soon - my iPod has been sitting unused since I've been in Mexico. Instead of listening to music, I've been trying to eavesdrop on conversations so I can become fluent in Spanish!

    Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete