Tuesday 20 May 2008

How to Look Pretty

Roald Dahl has always had a special place in my heart. Yes, for his wonderfully witty rhymes, for his shocking and sexy short stories and for his ability to inspire great alliterations. But it's pieces like this, from his children's story The Twits, that are why I just love Roald Dahl (click on the image to enlarge it so you can read it properly):

I especially adore this part: 'if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely'. Soppy it may be, but so lovely nonetheless.

And I think it's true..

I've found people really attractive until they've started being unkind, and it seems that their beauty just melts away, a little bit like Mrs Twit. I'm not denying that bad boys can have a huge appeal, but that's different to someone who's plain, personally nasty. At the same time, there have been people with all those classically 'ugly' features, who I really think of as beautiful.

Fluff overload, slightly? I still haven't got the hang of balancing the soppy out with old-fashioned funniness, like Roald Dahl.

4 comments:

  1. I know I attract people much more when I'm in a good mood and smiling...but I'm usually frowning! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is so true. my brain is usually running when I walk around and I sometimes think I look snobbish or absent-minded. I love the connection one creates with a smile, even if just for an instant with a total stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think attractive people also become less so when I find out they have nothing to say.

    & absolutely agreed on the Roald Dahl love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smiling is the only way to really be happy :) but you gotta feel it

    p.s.. I LOVE Roald Dahl. my future kids are definitely reading his books

    ReplyDelete