Sunday 28 December 2008

Fun Revision Tip

I've been putting off sales shopping in favour of revising, or sitting at home and waiting for the revision mood to come upon me. That is to say, watching a lot of television...

Anyway, french is one subject which is difficult to revise, I mean, how do you revise a language? But recently I've rediscovered a little book which I bought in France about a year ago. It's unbearably adorable! It's about a little girl called Lili who is in love with a little boy called Hugo (depuis la maternelle - for her whole life!) but she is led to believe that he prefers a tall leggy blonde girl called Valentine - don't they all? It's in a cartoon strip format (all dialogue) aimed at children which means I can actually understand it, apart from when words are used in a colloquial context which is just bizarre for a foreigner: 't'es vraiment un coeur d'artichaut... une feuille, un amoureux, une feuille, un amoureux..' translates to something along the lines of 'you are truly a heart of an artichoke... a leaf, a lover, a leaf, a lover...'

But apart from that, Lili and her heartbroken adventures are so much fun to follow and a great way to revise a language, don't you think?

7 comments:

  1. aww. what a cute way to revise! I also used to find it helpful to watch DVD's with foreign subtitles... at least that's what I used to tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than trying to memorize words off a dictionary

    Fabulously Broke in the City
    Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh yeah BCB although all DVDs only seem to have really obscure foreign language subtitles, whilst French subtitles are like gold dust. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great plan. And, I love your new picture. The fly and the crystal. Nice juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't read a word of French, but a story in which the heroine has a top-ponytail and turned-up nose is BOUND to win my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you approve, Belette. I took that photo back when the sun was actually out, I think I posted it on here, and then the fly died and I gave it a mini-funeral... oh how times change.

    Sal - she is very cute isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute!! I really feel for you having to revise over Christmas, I spent 4 years doing the same and only now can I relax (but these days I have the dread of going back to work..)

    Best of luck with it all dear! xsx

    ReplyDelete