Sunday 11 May 2008

Invocation of the Muse

Inspiration is an elusive, entirely incomprehensible thing, inspiring hundreds of different questions. Where do we get our inspiration for what to wear every day, how we want to look like? Is there such thing as true originality?

I haven't written a blog post for 2 days now, I haven't been able to think of anything worthwhile saying, apart from some musings on the shapes contact lenses can take. But I did write 3153 word story in an hour last night, and then I couldn't sleep. I got a couple of hours rest between 2:30 and 4:30 AM and then a few more hours from 5:30 to about 9:00.

Whilst I was awake, I was so tired that I could barely keep my eyes open, but the only thing that would take my mind off the pain in my stomach was writing. Obviously everything I wrote was rambling 'Dear Diary' style rubbish, but it helped!

This has made me think a while about what creates inspiration, what stifles creativity? I read an article recently which said that many writers believe they should entirely refrain from reading any modern literature, because it would lead to copycat writing.

Did my minute blogging break make me write down this story, when I haven't written one for months? Does that mean that blogging, despite its sometimes mundane nature actually does keep our writing minds in practice?

I don't know the answers but I found this an interesting topic to muse on.

1 comment:

  1. no one in fact an be original anymore, true, but the combinations of what they deem original can be seen as something new in itself, right?

    i dunno, i never know what i'm inspired by until the night after, when i realize what i'm wearing is oh so very ____. i guess it just works out that way sometimes.

    ReplyDelete